Deep Philosophical Three Minute Conversations
One of my favorite past times is what I call Deep Philosophical Three Minute Conversations. In line at Starbucks, on an airplane, when Life offers up some kind of unexpected delay . . .
How many opportunities do we seize, or miss — to interact with those around us?
Do we stand there, mute? Or do we open up to the treasure trove of experiences the person next to us has to offer?
Leading Questions/ Conversation Starters
I actually brainstormed this list of Conversation Starters while waiting for an airplane undergoing repairs — resulting in an unscheduled four-hour hold in a Honolulu airport lobby.
After three long hours, tired, bored, I tried out one of the questions on the handsome twentysomething young man slumped in the chair next to me, wearing an expensive looking long-sleeved shirt.
Sometime after the airline had offered a second round of water!! and tiny bags of cracker snacks, I asked, “Who’s been your biggest role model in life?”
He looked at me. His face engaged. His eyes lit up.
He went on to tell me how important his Dad was in his life. Turns out, he was the youngest of seven kids. His Dad had been a football coach and college administrator at the university in the small town in Hawaii where this young man had grown up.
After having a difficult time in high school, inspired by his Dad’s example, he told me how he had struggled academically, overcame the obstacles, increased his GPA and went off to college to became an Entertainment Lawyer in the sports (football!!!) industry. WOW! Representing Pro Football players!
Definitely one of the more interesting conversations that I can recall!
Here’s my Brainstorm List of Conversation Starters. I’d love to hear some of yours.
* What lessons have you learned from Life?
* From all that you’ve learned, what advice would you give?
* If you were on a desert isle with nothing else – what would you HAVE TO HAVE with you, or go NUTS? And WHY?
** Who is your biggest role model? Why? What did you learn from them?
* Who has made the biggest impact/difference in your life? How?
* What would you say to: Abe Lincoln, Amelia Earhart, George Washington, ________________?
— What would THEY say to you?
* What challenges are you going through in life?
* What are the biggest challenges you’ve faced?
— How did you deal with them?
— What did you LEARN from them???
* How do you handle life’s little annoyances?
**** How about the BIG ONES!!?
* What are you most afraid of?
* How do you handle Fear? Depression?
* What do you think is really cool to do?
* What do you like to CREATE?
* What’s your favorite Artistic activity?
— What is it that you love about it?
* What little things make you happiest?
* Why do you think you/we were put here?
— By whom or what?
* If you knew you were to die tomorrow, what would you:
— Who would you call?
— What would you value the most?
* How do you make a difference???
— When you do, how do you know it?
— How do you feel?
* What difference do your:
* Do you appreciate living in ________________? (America)
— What do you appreciate about it?
* Is the glass half empty or half full? Why?
* Do you:
Talk to God?
Hear or sense intuition/answers?
Feel stuff before it happens?
Have intuitive/prophetic dreams?
Awake with dread, or joy?
Other Worldly . . .
* Have you ever had a near-death experience?
* Have you ever seen an ET?
* What’s your most extraordinary dream?
* Have you ever heard from a loved one who’s passed away?
You get the picture. More than just talking about the weather. Because to me, Life’s too rich to just stick to the shallow stuff.
I’m amazed at what I’ve learned by asking people these unlikely questions. How quickly people can open up.
And oh yes, I’ve gotten some interesting answers to the ET question!!! If you don’t ask, they certainly won’t tell!
Like what you’ve read here? Visit Dawn’s sister blog: Soul Horse Ride
~~___(\ ~~___(\ ~~___(\
…/< >\ …/< >\ …/< >\